So you wanna write a piece of fan fiction based in the Siglerverse? Bring the good stuff, esé, bring the good stuff.
Feel free to use Scott's characters or create your own within his world. Keep in mind this is fan fiction: nothing you write will be "canon" in the Siglerverse or the timeline. However, if you want to keep your story in the proper timeline, try playing around the edges of the existing stories. Whatever you do, have fun with it.
WHAT HAPPENS IF YOUR STORY IS SELECTED: It will be recorded by Arioch Morningstar, and put into the Sigler RSS feed just like Scott's stories. If he selects your story, you also have the option of recording it yourself if you can meet his audio-quality requirements.
SHOULD I JUST CONTACT SCOTT OR A? No, they have nothing to do with the cast.
STORY LENGTH: 300-10,000 words (NOTE: If your story exceeds 5000 words, I will need to split it up into different episodes)
SUBMIT YOUR STORY TO: email@example.com.
- Please send your story as a file attached to your email. Most formats work (doc, rtf, odt, docx, etc.), but PDFs do not.
- Please include what you want me to include in your author introduction/biography (eg Do you want me to use your real name, your junkie handle, if you've been mentioned in one of Scott's stories, your Twitter ID, past or upcoming projects, your website or podcast, etc.)
- If you want to read your own story, please include a short audio sample with your submission. We're shooting for a high audio standard on this 'cast.
- I'll look your story over (and listen to your audio if you've included it) and let you know what I think. If it only needs minor edits, I'll go ahead with those and record it for the show. If your story needs moderate to major changes, I'll send it back for either approval (of my edits) or further revision by you.
COMMON PROBLEMS / FAQ:
- Be clear with pronoun references. If multiple characters of the same gender are present, be very careful with your use of he and she.
- Is your story three dimensional? Does it have some conflict resolution and character development in it or is it just gratuitous violence?
- Can I write about (insert SUBJECT) in (insert TITLE of a Scott Sigler novel or story)? Yes. Anything Scott's ever mentioned in any of his books is fair game. The only caveat on subject matter is NO slash fiction, changing sexual orientation of his characters, or other Siglerotica. Feel free to use Scott's characters or create your own within his world. Keep in mind this is fan fiction: nothing you write will be "canon" in the Siglerverse or the timeline.
- Avoid giving the reader a bunch of exposition up front. Can you work what they need to know into the narrative? Remember, your audience doesn't need to know everything right away. Think of how books/stories you've read have been structured. Generally the author will hook the audience with something interesting (dialogue, action, etc.) and then intersperse character development and exposition throughout the tale so the reader doesn't even notice it's there.
- Keep in mind that your story will be delivered in an audio format. If the "reader" misses something, they will almost certainly not go back to reference previous material. I strongly recommend that you 1) use a linear chronology to tell your tale and 2) give the listener semi-frequent reminders of what the physical location is if you use more than one setting.